May 21, 2020

Dear Greater Niagara Frontier Council Scouting family,

First and foremost, we hope that this message finds you and your family well. It goes without saying that we are living through unprecedented times.

As always, the safety of our Scouts, volunteers, and employees is the Greater Niagara Frontier Council, Boy Scouts of America’s top priority. As such, we have taken a careful and informed approach in evaluating whether to run summer camp this year.  Since the spread of this pandemic, we have been continually monitoring the situation, and consulting with health experts, risk management professionals, and state and local government officials.

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that, after a thorough review and at the advice of the Risk Management Committee, the Greater Niagara Frontier Council Executive Board has made the difficult decision to suspend all of our camp programs for the summer of 2020 (this includes Cub Scout Resident and Day Camps, Scouts, BSA Resident Camp, Birchbark, NYLT, and the Leave No Trace Master Educator Course). We know camp is an important part of every Scout’s summer, and this decision was not made lightly.

Even though we are unable to offer in-person camps this summer, we are committed to providing virtual summer experiences for both our Cub Scouts and Scouts, BSA.  Our staff and volunteers will be working over the next several weeks to develop these programs and will share additional details as they become available.  We also strongly encourage our units to continue meeting virtually over the summer, to begin planning your fall Scouting activities, and to keep your Scouts and families engaged.

If you have already signed up for camp you have the option of rolling your deposit to summer camp 2021, receiving a refund, or donating a portion of it to help support the council and our camps.  As you know, the council and our camps are funded by summer camp fees.  We are asking that each family consider donating $100 of their camp fee to help offset the loss in income this year.  The funds will be used to help ensure the council and our camping programs can remain viable for the future.  Please discuss these options with your units and Scouting families at your convenience and then contact Dick Hanaburgh at (518) 796-2589 or Dick.Hanaburgh@Scouting.org to work out the details.

Our council and staff are saddened that we are not able to serve your Scouts at our camps this summer. This is an extraordinarily challenging time; unlike anything we have experienced. Our hope is we all emerge from this challenging moment stronger than before.  Most importantly, we look forward to providing the full range of Scouting programs, including outdoor adventures, as soon as we can and as the situation allows.

We hope all our Scouting families stay healthy and positive in our current environment and join us in preparing for future great summer camp experiences.

Yours in Scouting,

Gary A Decker

Scout Executive & CEO


Darlene Sprague

Council President


Joe Lane

Council Commissioner