Fellow Scouts and Scouters - How Much Do You Know?

As we celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Scouting, here's a chance to learn more about the history of the Greater Niagara Frontier Council.  Each month we add a couple of new bits of trivia, so please check back from time to time to see what new nuggets we have unearthed.

We hope you will enjoy our trip down memory lane and, if you have any additions that you would like to include, please send them to SCOUT HISTORIAN@ROADRUNNER.COM.

In the Greater Niagara Frontier Council, DID YOU KNOW...

  1. that 9 (NINE) farms were purchased in order for our Council to make up Camp Schoellkopf? 
  2. that Camp Schoellkopf is celebrating its 70th anniversary as a scout camp this year? 
  3. what the dining hall at Camp Scouthaven was before it became part of a Scout camp?  It was a dance hall. 
  4. Scouting was brought to Buffalo in 1910?
  5. that Robert W. Hopkins was Buffalo's first Eagle Scout? 
  6. that in the year 1920, 10 (TEN) of the 21 merit badges earned to make Eagle Scout were required ones? 
  7. that in 1957, Richard Chappel, an Eagle Scout and Explorer from Snyder, NY became the second scout to go on a Antarctic Expedition?
  8. that the first Western New York - Order of the Arrow induction was held in 1939 at camp TYE? 
  9. that in 1948, Vespur Wurster was the volunteer Scouter, responsible for forming the Protestant Committee On Scouting in the Buffalo Council?
  10. that the first Boy Scout troop in Niagara Falls Council was organized in 1913?
  11. that the Rangers workshop at camp Scouthaven was part of the old train station?
  12. that during the first year of the organization of the scouting movement in the Buffalo area - seventeen scout troops were started - School 37 on Carlton St. held the first Scout office? In 1913 the office was moved to the Stafford building. at 158 Pearl St.
  13. that in 1938, there were 154 (ONE HUNDRED FIFTY- FOUR) Boy Scout troops in Buffalo?
  14. that the name of the creek that runs through Camp Schoellkopf is the Cayauga?
  15. that Ton ka Coo, the belt painting at Camp Scouthaven was started in 1926 as a scout craft recognition?
  16. that Camp Scouthaven is celebrating its 90th anniversary as a scout camp this year?
  17. that the merger of the Buffalo Council and the Erie County Council signaled the end of WA-KAN-DA as an Honor Camping Society at Camp Scouthaven?
  18. that Camp Stonehaven is celebrating its 65th anniversary as a scout camp this year?
  19. that Crimson Arrow, Tall Pine, and Flying Eagle, were the names of the 3 high honors of the Honor Camp Society at Camp Scouthaven?
  20. that workers had to remove 3 miles of fencing from the farms that were bought to make up Camp Schoellkopf?
  21. that during World War II, the Cruiser USS Buffalo was being built?  The Boy Scouts signed on to do their share for the war effort, by selling War Bonds and War Stamps to buy rivets, for the construction of the USS Buffalo.  The plan was to sell enough bonds and stamps to purchase 229,800 rivets at the cost of 10 cents each.  The drive was so successful that they reached their goal in a very short time, and decided to continue their efforts until their deadline.  When the allotted time for the drive was up, the scouts had sold enough to buy 3 million rivets.
  22. that in 1923, horse drawn, covered wagon caravan treks were taken from Camp Toad Hollow to Scouthaven?  These Camp treks were led by Spike Nagel and Jerry Leighrant.
  23. that in 1944 a man named Leo King became the Ranger at Camp Schoellkopf?  Before becoming our Ranger he had worked as a log cabin builder as well as a Black Smith and a Lumber Jack. Leo served as our Chief Camp Ranger until 1968.
  24. that Niagara Falls Council's first Scout Camp was purchased in 1921? The camp was located on Lake Rd. in the town of Porter and was named Camp Moss.
  25. that on October 19, 1933, National Board member, G. Barrett Rich attended the National Executive Board meeting at Schiff Scout Reservation?  Mr. Rich extended an invitation to the committee, to hold the 1934 National Meeting of the BSA, in Buffalo, NY.  The members voted to do that.
  26. that in 1934, WGR radio presented a weekly radio program named, ?The Life and Experiences of a New Scout?? The program was aired at 9:30 PM every Wednesday evening. The program was hosted by, Arthur Penworden and Irving Peters.
  27. that, during the war gasoline rationing curtailed most of a families optional transportation? In 1943 Merit Badge examinations had to be made available for scouts who could not travel to a counselor. The rules were changed so that a scout could go to the Physical Director of any high school in Buffalo for his merit badge examination.  These merit badges included swimming, lifesaving, and physical development.
  28. that in 1938 and in many years to follow, the creek at Camp Schoellkopf was dammed up by the scouts and staff? This then formed a swimming hole for the summer camp residents.
  29. that in 1934 the Niagara Falls Council had six districts? Their names were South District, Central District, North District, LaSalle District, Area District, and Cub District.
  30. that in 1934 the Buffalo Council hosted the National Scouters? Convention? It was the largest attended Scouters? Convention in the history of the Boy Scouts at that time.
  31. that in 1933 the Buffalo Council presented, Humbolt District Commissioner, James Self with the Silver Beaver Award?
  32. that National Scout Commissioner, Daniel Carter Beard, was in attendance at the 1934 National Scouters? Convention?  As a special climax to the Friday night show, ?Uncle Dan? (as he had become known to scouts), welcomed 1,000 new tenderfoot scouts from the Buffalo area, into the scouting program.
  33. that in 1943 the Scouthaven waterfront was one of the best equipped waterfronts in the country?  The Scout Camp had 18 canoes, 32 row boats, 3 new guard boats a fine pier and a beach with a great dock.
  34. that in the first five years following Leo King's being hired as the ranger for Camp Schoellkopf, 2 health Lodges, Guggenheimer Village, Troop 7, Swartz, Harter, and Score Cabins were built?
  35. that the first CIT (counselor in training) course was iniated in 1972?  It was a two-week long training course with a cost of $40.00 per candidate.
  36. that in 1936 Haskell Penn was the Camp Director for Camp Emanuel Josef, the village camp for Jewish Scouts at Camp Scouthaven?
  37. that as a part of the 1934 National Meeting, hosted by the Buffalo Council, a special two day Scout Show was held at the 174th Armory?  A cast of 6,000 scouts from the Western New York area, participated in the show.
  38. that Tonca Coo was used at Camp Moss, Niagara Council and Camp Scouthaven, Buffalo Council as a camp recognition program for scout campers?  Tonca Coo was translated from the Indian name meaning ?Little Deeds.  The honor camp society at Camp Scouthaven was named Wakonda coming from the Lakota Sioux Indians meaning ?Great Mystery?.
  39. that in 1926 Leonard F. Gabryelewicz, was the Scoutmaster of Troop 1 sponsored by St. Stanislaus Parish?  He was appointed Field Executive on the Buffalo Council Headquarters staff; for the purpose of establishing scout troops in the Polish community.  Within four years he had successfully registered twenty (20) new troops on the east side of Buffalo.  Mr. Gabryelewicz was the first person of Polish decent to became a Scout Executive in the United States.
  40. that Baden Powell visited the Buffalo Council in 1912 ?
  41. that in 1945 the project of clearing away 735 acres of alfalfa, under growth, and crop lands began in order to develop Camp Schoellkopf?  Ranger Leo King over saw the beginning of a 10 year program of planting evergreen trees, as well as the building of the lakes and cabins.  The program was very successful and 97,000 trees were planted in the new Scout Camp.
  42. that in 1922 the Niagara Falls Council's Sea Scout division had a sloop class ship of nine tons and it was commissioned the Sea Lion?  The ships clearance papers listed it as the first ship of the line and was designated number 41.
  43. that the first annual Field Day was held on June 29, 1912 at Olympic Park?  Over 1,000 scouts participated in the inter troop competitions, over 2,000 spectators in attendance.
  44. that in the fall of 1912 buffalo Council moved the Scout Headquarters? Office to 158 Pearl St.?  It was at that time the first Council Scout Executive, Mr. W. W. Brundage was hired.
  45. that the first scout troop in Buffalo was organized at the Genesee Street YMCA, in May of 1909? The person credited for the forming of the troop was James F. O?Brian.  Mr. O?Brian had formally been a Scoutmaster in Ireland.
  46. that a special Court of Honor was convened during the Saturday night performance of the National Meeting Show in 1934?  Uncle Dan (Daniel Carter Beard) Presented 100 Eagle Scouts with their Eagle Medals.
  47. that if you are one of scouting's ?old timers? you most likely have camped in the BADAHATO Cabin at Toad Hollow?  If you did you were probably were unaware that the name of the cabin was a compilation of the first two letters of the first names of each of Mr. G. Barrett Rich's four sons.  Mr. Rich had formerly been the Council Commissioner and Council President of the Buffalo Council.
  48. that In July 1927 Col. Charles A. Lindbergh visited Buffalo?  A reception was held in his honor.  The Boy Scouts of the Buffalo Council served as waiters and also took care of traffic control.
  49. that in July of 1932 the Sea Scouts of Buffalo established a sea base, across from Lake Side Lodge, on Crystal Lake? The camp consisted of 3 tents, a mast and a great deal of harbor equipment, which consisted of a wharf floats and a boardwalk.  Their flotilla consisted of 3 lifeboats and a houseboat
  50. that a new Council was formed in 1949, as a result of the merger of the Erie County Council with the Buffalo Council?  It was named the Buffalo Area Council.  This merger brought the total membership up to 16,867 scouts and 6,500 leaders.
  51. that in 1913 the Buffalo Chamber of Commerce had 25 Civic medals made?  These were to be awarded to First Class Scouts who successfully pass a two part test.  The first part was a written essay, it needed to cover a general description of the duties of the Mayor, Councilmen, Aldermen, and Superintendent of Public Works.  The essay had to describe the relationship of their duties to each other and how they fit and worked together.  The second part was for the candidate to have a working knowledge of the city and its parts.  They needed to know the types of cargo arriving into the city, and how it was handled when it arrived here.  The scouts also had to know the names of all of the city officials, along with a verbal explanation of their duties.  Scouts also needed to have the ability to give directions to visitors, including the use of the railroads, and streetcars, as well as canal, lake and boat lines.  Each scout had to be able to point out on a map all of the historical sites and the points of interest inthe city.
  52. that in 1953 the Logger Camp was reestablished as a Senior Scout Program at Camp TYE?  The camp program was to be offered for a six Year period.  One of the outcomes of the program was the construction of several four (4) man lean-tos.  A special purchase was made for this program, and that was a mule named Pedro.
  53. that on July 19th 1936 and for the first time in the history of Camp Scouthaven, Cubs were allowed to attend Scout Camp?  It was a visitation day with an afternoon program of games as well as in camp sightseeing and refreshments.
  54. that in 1914 the Fire Council of Kenmore selected Scout Troop 39 to be in charge of their supply wagon?  The Troop was instructed to turn out with the Fire Company when called upon.  The Scouts also placed their first aid supplies in the wagon and were available to render first aid when and if necessary.  Could this have been the first example of a firematics Scout Program?
  55. that the very successful and very powerful promotional Program ?Campy? was started in our Council in 1959?
  56. that in 1924 the only trains that stopped at Camp Scouthaven were the Rochester and Pittsburg Line?  The Scouts had to board the trains at the D.L.&W.Depot at the foot of Main Street.  The cost for a round trip ticket from Buffalo to Scouthaven was $3.30 per scout.  The train stopped at Camp on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for drop offs and pick ups. 
  57. that in September of 1933 the Erie County Council had a total membership of 1,505 scouts?  Of these 59 were Cubs and 14 had achieved the rank of Eagle.
  58. that on November 28th 1961, Charles L. Hutchinson, chairman of the council camping committee, announced the formation of the ?Buffalo Ranch Club??  The purpose of this club was to give scouts, scouters and their families, (who had attended Philmont) a chance to get together and share their experiences from both on the trail and in the training centers. Membership card were distributed at this charter meeting. In order to maintain membership in the Ranch Club, each member had to pledge to talk about Philmont to at least ten (10) scouts, and they had to recruit at least one to attend Philmont.  The reunion meetings were planned for the fall of each year, and the best part of all was there were no dues.
  59. that in January of 1953 the first issue of a lodge flap and neckerchief for our lodge went on sale? The lodge had 552 Ordeal, 154 Brotherhood, and 10 Vigil making a total membership of 716 members.
  60. that there was a 75th Anniversary Ceremony held August 7th 1985 at Camp Scouthaven? During the ceremony a helium filled time capsule, containing 25 selected items of scout memorabilia was buried. A letter of intent was sent to the Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society. The Society was instructed to inform our Council's current Scout Executive.
    On February 1st 2060, that the capsule was to be opened on February 8th 2060. This is to be done at a ceremony to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America.
  61. that on the weekend of June 20th ? 22nd 1947 a five cabin village was presented to the Buffalo Council, at a special dedication ceremony held at Camp Schoellkopf?  The village was a gift from Mr. & Mrs. Guggenheimer presented as a memorial to their Eagle Scout son, John Guggenheimer.  Each troop in the Council was asked to send one (1) Patrol to represent their troop at the ceremony.  Their were 700 scouts and guests in attendance at this ceremony.
  62. that in the year 1943 three (3) Liberty Ships were launched?  These ships were named after three outstanding Scouters that had a direct influence on the Scouting Movement in particular and in the Buffalo Area in general. These dedications were made on January 14th named the JamesWilder, January 19th named the William D. Boyce and in February named Daniel Carter Beard.
  63. that on February 8th 1957 Buffalo Area Council held the very first Government Day?  Eighty-four Eagle Scouts shadowed top government officials of the city of Buffalo and the county of Erie.  The scouts spent 2 hours with them and then attended a luncheon in the scouts honor.
  64. that in the summer of 1956 there was a special program for Explorers?  In the ?European Airlift Project?, Explorers were the guests of scouts and scouters from Italy, France, Germany, England, Holland, Belgium, Austria, and Switzerland.  Sidney K. Richardson, US Air force retired, Scout Executive for Special Education and School Relations for the Buffalo Area Council, coordinated the transportation through the US Air force and Navy.
  65. that in June of 1937 the Sea Scouts of our Council were given a WWI sub chaser convoy S-C 103, to be used as a training ship?  The Sea Scouts renamed it the ?Polaris?.
  66. that at the first scout summer camp for the Buffalo Council was held in 1912 at Angola, New York?  The camp was called Camp Rich, named after our council commissioner, G. Barrett Rich.  Camp ran from July 9th through the 30th, with 100 scouts attending per week.
  67. that in 1913 the Buffalo Council held its second summer camp?  This time the camp was held at Cascade Park, two miles from Springville, New York.   It was located adjacent to the Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburg railroad line.  This camp was also named Camp Rich.
  68. that the third summer camp, held by the Buffalo Council, was named Camp Ohiyesa (pronounced Ohesa)?  The camp dates were July 6th to August 8th, 1914, and it too was held at Cascade Park.  The camp name Ohiyesa, came from the Sioux word meaning winner, (and that it ?Shall be thy name, henceforth, be brave, be patient, and thou shall always win!?  Thy name is Ohiyesa.  The third camp initiated a points system of and securing honors.  When a scout earned 100 honors he was presented with the camp emblem.  These honors were earned by: identifying and collecting nature items, for work on the cooks squad, grounds committee, sanitary duties, campfire, scout craft, and camp inspection.  When a scout had successfully accumulated 200 honors he was presented with a camp pennant, (1 point = 1 honor).  The design for the camp emblem was a large C and a O for Camp Ohiyesa.
  69. that on March 30th 1957 Brigadier General James Stewart visited Buffalo?  Mr. Stewart was on tour to promote his new movie ?The Spirit Of St. Louis?.  A special ceremony was held in his honor after which he greeted and congratulated Air Scouts and Explorer Scouts on obtaining the rank of Eagle Scouts.
  70. that at he 1915 Buffalo scout camps fourth season, one of the new features, was the creation of an Indian village?  The Wakondale Tribe of the Ohiyese Indians were in charge of the village.  One of the features of the village was the induction of tested scouts into the Wakondale Tribe (once every week) by the Chief.  A scout winning 100 points in camp tests covering woodcraft and camp duties becomes a candidate for the tribe and was awarded a white feather.  After winning 200 points a scout received an Indian name and became a papoose in the village.  When 300 points was reached he became an Indian boy.  At 400 points a young brave, 500 points a ?minisino? or warrior.  Each degree had a separate password.  The points also earned other things, 100 a camp emblem, 200 a gym jersey etc.  Only 5 scouts ever earned a total of 500 points for a season.
  71. that in 1928 the National Boy Scout Press Association chartered the ?Buffalo Press Club??  It was the first Press Club to be chartered of the original 17 Press Clubs.
  72. that in 1924 the Buffalo Evening News started a section in the newspaper called ?The Scout Trail??  Later in 1928 and continuing on through World War II a group of Senior Scouts called the ?Buffalo Press Club? did the actual gathering and editing of the news for that column.
  73. that in 1927 Bruce Crowfoot became the Camp Ranger at the Crystal Lake Scout Reservation (now known as Camp Scouthaven)?  Mr. Crowfoot took the Columbia University, Scoutmaster Leadership course.  One of his many duties as camp ranger was to cut ice blocks from Crystal Lake.  He then packed the blocks in sawdust and stored them in the icehouse. In order for them to be used for summer camp.
  74. that on January 1st 1919, Niagara Falls Council obtained a charter from the National Council, changing its status from a second-class council to a first class council?  In the early years of the Boy Scout movement a second-class council did not have a paid professional Scout Executive.   It was under the guidance and support of the nearest first class council, in this case it was the Buffalo Council.   Norman H. Marsh was their first Scout Executive, after the change.
  75. that in October of 1915 the Niagara Falls Council was chartered? The first scout troop under this charter was Troop 1, sponsored by Zion Lutheran Church. Troop 1 was under the leadership of Scoutmaster Donald Aunnan and Assistant Scoutmaster Francis K. Ford.
  76. that the first published large scale piece of publicity for the Boy Scouts Of America, was not produced or published by the B.S.A.? In 1911 the Niagara Lithograph Co. of Buffalo, was authorized to publish a 48 page booklet for the Minute Tapioca Co., describing the Boy Scout program. The first initial printing was for 500,000 copies, and sold for 10 cents post paid.
  77. that on July 5th 1949 Sea Scout Ship 6 paid tribute to Buffalo's first Scoutmaster, Mr. George R. Sikes? The Ship's crew built an 18 foot sail boat, second one they built that year.  During a ceremony at the Senior Scout Base the sail boat was christened the G.R. Sikes ? SSS No. 6 ? Buffalo.  Mr. Sikes was the Scoutmaster of Troop 3.
  78. that on August 8th 1951, the Craft Lodge at Camp Scouthaven was officially opened? Mr. Frank C. Loegler and Mr. Frank H. Holman, both members of the Buffalo Area Council Executive Board, attended the official opening and presented the co-sponsored lodge to the Camp as a gift.
  79. that in the fall off 1923, the Buffalo Chapter of The Inter Orbis Fraternity was started? The president of the chapter was Assistant Scoutmaster Don Morey (University of Buffalo). The Fraternity was restricted to those who had been scouts or were presently involved in the program, including scouting leaders and officials.
  80. that on September 24th 1914 the Buffalo Council organized a Boy Scout Band? Mr. J. Henry Gaise was the bandmaster of 23 adult and youth band members. There were no restrictions on membership at that time, any one from Scoutmaster to Tenderfoot any registered youth or adult could join.
  81. that on November 1, 1935, Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd, (world famous explorer) visited Buffalo for a speaking engagement?  Upon his arrival he was met by 30 Sea Scouts, 150 Boy Scouts and the Seneca District drum corp.  Two Eagle Scouts were selected to act as orderlies to the Admiral.  One was a Sea Scout and the other a Boy Scout.
  82. that on January 1, 1964, our Council Camping Committee initiated a conservation program?  The Council developed a special neckerchief slide, called ?Conservation Campy?.  It was shaped like the bottom of a boot, it cost 35 cents and came with a special instruction card.  The card explained how to complete the slide, for example each of the six parts of the requirements had a corresponding color.  Upon completion of one of the tasks the specific color for the task was painted on one of the hobnails of the boot.  When all six of the tasks were finished and the painting complete the six hobnails would each be a different color.  This was the way for each scout to show that all of the requirements had been completed.
  83. that on August 29, 1951, David Zimpfer was selected by the VFW to be the recipient of their Gold Medal and Scholarship Award?  Dave was an Explorer in Post One of Buffalo.  During his tenure as an Explorer he earned the Ranger Award, Eagle Award, Ad Altare Dei , and received the BSA Honor Medal for Lifesaving.  He had assisted in rescuing a man from the Niagara River after his boat had capsized.  David, a Canisius College junior was the business manager of his college publication, ?The GRIFFIN? along with being a vocalist with the college Glee Club.  His major was Latin.
  84. that at the 1930 Niagara Frontier Jamboree, Troops and Scout Ships came from Canada, Pennsylvania, Central and Western New York, Shreeves Port Louisiana, and Trenton New Jersey?  The units all gathered at the University of Buffalo Campus, it was the largest gathering of youth at that time in the United States.  There were over 5,000 Scouts in attendance at this Jamboree.
  85. that on October 18, 1930, Troop 3 of Memorial Chapel, celebrated its 20th Anniversary?  Troop 3 was one of the only troops organized in 1910, with continuous registration.  The Scoutmaster at that time was George R. Sikes.
  86. that the registration report for Buffalo Council as of January 31, 1915, showed a total of 2,411 scouts, scouters and commissioners?
  87. that from 1955 ? 1959, Leo King ran a Ranger Camp at Schoellkopf?  He taught the art of lumbering and woods lore to the Explorers and older scouts.
  88. that in the early days of Scouting, one of the programs for summer camp incorporated the teaching of military type drilling?  It taught the units how to look sharp, march, and the proper way to attend morning and evening flag ceremonies.
  89. that in 1912, Troop 15 of the Richmond Ave. Methodist Church, chose blue and white as their troop colors?  The troop became the first unit in the city to wear troop numerals on their uniforms.  It was a year later when almost every troop in the council was wearing them.
  90. that on February 8th 1939 four thousand Scouters and Scout Mother's Club members attended a dessert banquet?  It was at that time that five outstanding scout leaders received the Silver Beaver Award and twenty-five received the national 5 year training award.  The desserts consumed that evening were provided by the Scout Mother's Club.
  91. that the 1913 Buffalo Council's treasurers report showed a dispersal of $500.00 to the National Office of the BSA?  This money was sent to defray the cost of Baden Powel's visit to Buffalo.  The payment was forwarded to National one year after his visit, due to the fact that the Buffalo Council was operating in the red in 1912.  Just for an interesting note on this, $500.00 in 1912 is equal to $47,807.02 in 2008.
  92. that Arthur N. Cotton, former Secretary of the YMCA in Buffalo and G. Barrett Rich were two of the founding fathers of the Buffalo Council on May 1, 1910?  They received a letter of confirmation from National Office,issued in October 1910, making Buffalo Council officially a BSA Council. 
  93. that Baden Powell visited the Buffalo Council on February 20th, 1912? B. P. noted in his journal what he thought about his visit to Buffalo, the Banquet, and the Scout demonstrations in his honor. His writings said, ?I was most impressed by the wireless patrol and their resourcefulness?. The scouts had built a wireless telegraph that was capable of transmitting over 5 miles.
  94. that from 1920 ? 1923 William F. Payne served as the Buffalo Council's Special Deputy Commissioner?  His position put him in charge of all Catholic Churches, organizations and extensions.  In 1923 the new Council Executive, Conrad Mienecke, discontinued the position.  This decision sparked the beginning of the Catholic Committee on Scouting.
  95. that on October 10th 1942, 1,000 scouts were sworn in as official Treasury Agents?  Each scout was furnished with an official armband for identification.  As a result of the campaign the Buffalo Scouts were able to present the United States Treasury with 39,641 pledges.  This figured out to be $3,010,691.76 worth of War Bonds
  96. that in the fall of 1956, Richard Lee Chappell, an Explorer of Post #61, in Eggertsville, was sworn into the Navy?  He was given a 2-year leave of absence to go to Antarctica, so that he would not loose a ROTC scholarship, to Princeton University.  The scholarship had been awarded to him by the US Navy.
  97. that during the 1934 National meeting, 500 of the 2,200 delegates attended a barbeque and lifesaving demonstration at Camp Toad Hollow?  Captain Fred Mills, National Council's water safety director was in charge of the demonstration.
  98. that in 1913 the ?Scout Club of Buffalo? was started?  Membership was for 15 year old scouts, and only available with the approval of their Scoutmaster.  The club placed an emphasis on Troop loyalty, program, advancement and service.
  99. that on October 16th, 1915 the first Scoutmaster Conference ever to be held in the United States, was hosted by the Buffalo Council?  200 Scout officials from Central and Western NY were in attendance.  The morning session dealt with Scout Officials and Scout Leaders training.  James E. West (Chief Scout Executive) spoke about scouting and the gain of adult leadership.  West stated that at the present time there were 200,000 scouts and 10,000 leaders active in the program.  The second session addressed the activities for older scouts and how to retain their interest and participation in the program.  One of the highlights of the program was guest speaker E. M. Robinson, secretary of the National Office of the YMCA.  Mr. Robinson became the first Scout Executive/Secretary of the National Office of the BSA.  He is credited with the actual success of the Scout Program in its infancy.  The result of the conference was the decision that these conferences should be held in all Scout Councils across the country.
  100. that the Kiwanis Club of Buffalo gave a gift of $2,000 on June 10th, 1952 for the purpose of building the Schwartz cabin?  Dr. Edward Schwartz Sr. was a past President of the Kiwanis, and Scoutmaster of Troop 198,sponsored by the Kiwanis Club, for 25 years.  The Kiwanis Club has been a strong supporter to the growth of the Schoelkopf Scout Reservation.   In 1947 they contributed $4,000 for the building of the Stanley G. Score cabin.  Mr. Score was also a past President of the Club.  In 1950 an additional $4,000 was donated in the name of another past President, and the J. Francis Harter cabin was built.  Another gift from the Kiwanis Club gave us the new Paul J. Kohler Health Lodge.  With the completion of these cabins, the total cabins for SSR was brought to 15.
  101. that on February 10th,1951, 5,000 Cubs, Scouts, and Explorers assembled at Memorial Auditorium?  The reason was to pledge their support and alliance to civil defense, through the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.  Thus, ?Operation Survival? became a reality, for those present, and nearly 17,000 members of 633 units registered in the Western New York area.
  102. that Dr. William Young was the first Scouter in the Western New York area to receive the Silver Beaver Award?  Dr. Young was one of the founding fathers of the Erie County Council.  He served as the Council President and the Council Commissioner.  Dr. Young achieved the rank of Eagle Scout as a youth and then the Silver Beaver Award as an adult in 1931.
  103. that in 1913, Scout Alden Daniels of Troop 15, sponsored by the Richmond Ave. M. & E. Church, received the 17th Honor Medal?  This medal was awarded by the National Court of Honor of the BSA for saving the life of a small child.
  104. that the fireplace at Camp Scouthaven's Lakeside Lodge, was built and dedicated on the weekend of August 29th and 30th, 1931?  The ceremony was held during a Scout Leaders Conference at camp.  The fireplace was built as a memorial to the Oregon Trail and the Western New York Jamboree.
  105. that when the Buffalo Area Council was formed in 1949 it was divided into fourteen districts?  The names of these districts were:  Amherst, Cattaraugus, Cazenovia, Delaware, Ellicott. Humboldt, Kenton, Lackawanna, Main Central, McKinley, Niagara, Seneca, South Park, and Tonawanda.
  106. that 1,700 scouts and leaders assembled at the Broadway Auditorium on May 8th, 1915, for a Grand Review in celebration of Founders Day?  James E. West, Chief Scout Executive was in attendance.  Mr. West participated in the judging of the Scouts in Review, demonstrations in scout craft, marching and drilling, Semaphore and Morse Code signaling, fire starting by bow and drill, as well as bugling.
  107. that in 1915 the older scouts of Troop 29 formed a wireless patrol?  It is believed to be the first patrol of its kind in the country.  The seven members of that patrol had all qualified for their 2nd grade license, from the department of commerce.  Troop 29 is hopefully they will qualify for their 1st grade operator's license in 1916.
  108. that in September 1919, members of the newly formed Roosevelt Memorial Association marched from Buffalo, New York, to the Roosevelt gravesite at Oyster Bay, Long Island?  The march started off with an American flag of silk void of stars in the blue union patch.  Scouts and high school students escorted the flag most of the way.  At each stop, a white star was hand sewn onto the flag.  The forty-eighth and final star was added at Roosevelt's gravesite in Youngs Cemetery when the memorial flag arrived at Oyster Bay on October 27th - which would have been Roosevelt's sixty-first birthday.  Dignitaries from around the world attended the ceremony, including King Albert and Queen Elizabeth of Belgium.
  109. that in celebration of the 6th anniversary of Scouting, the National Scout Commissioner, Daniel Carter Beard, addressed the scouts of the Buffalo Council?  This event took place at the Star Theater on February 13th, 1916.  Each scout was asked to bring along 1 boy of scout age for the celebration.
  110. that in 1914 in observance of Boy Scout Week, Mr. L. S. Dale, National Field Scout Commissioner, spoke to over 1,000 scouts and their parents?  The observance was held at the Shea's theater.  The subject of Mr. Dale's address was ?Just 4 years old?.  His speach exalted the values, and service rendered by scouts to their communities across the country.
  111. that Camp Schoellkopf is 1,283 feet above sea level?
  112. that on September 2, 1922 the first Sea Scout group in Buffalo, was formed by former Scout Executive W.B. King?  The ship used by the unit was the SS Niagara, and Mr. King served as the Pilot, with Mr. Harry B. Hougland, serving as the actual Skipper.  The Ship only Lasted one year.
  113. that on August 21 ? 24, 1930, the Buffalo Council hosted a Jamboree to celebrate the Centennial of the Oregon Trail?  The Jamboree was located on the Campus of the University of Buffalo.  The Buffalo Kiwanis Clubs from across the region sponsored the event, as well as giving their support to units from their home town Councils.
  114. that at the 1929 World Jamboree in Birkenhead, England the American Scout Contingent was 1,350 strong?  The contingent was lead by the Buffalo Council?s, Council Commissioner, G. Barrett Rich.  It was at this Jamboree that Scouter Rich declined dipping the colors as the Contingent passed the Duke of Conaught and the review stand.  This action would still cause an issue today in International protocol.
  115. that Camp Toad Hollow was purchased in 1920?  It was approximately 237 acres in size.  The property was located on both sides of Sisson Highway and stretched to the other side of 18 mile creek.  It remained an active scout camp until it was sold in 1986.
  116. that in 1926 and for a period of four years a special Scout Camp for Polish Scouts, was located in the heart of Allegany State Park?  It was named Camp Kosciuszko, and it was operated under the leadership of Assistant Scout Executive, Leonard F. Grabryelewicz of the Buffalo Council.  The location of the camp was then moved to Camp Scouthaven.
  117. that in 1918 Buffalo Scouts were camping at Crystal Lake?  Crystal Lake was to be named Camp Scouthaven at some future time.  In order to earn the Crystal Lake camp emblem, scouts had to have an introduction to astronomy.  Each scout also had to be able to identify five constellations and be able to tell direction by the sun and the stars.  They also had to participate in sports, tan without blistering, participate in camp shows, fish intelligently, hike ten miles, sleep over night under the stars, and cook two meals.
  118. that in 1960, the Buffalo Area Council had a total of 791 Cub, Scout and Explorer Units? Only 12 of these units qualified for the President Eisenhower 50th Anniversary Achievement Award.
  119. that when the Boy Scouts of America celebrated their 50th Anniversary in 1960, there were 7,005,095 Cubs, Scouts, Explorers and leaders registered?
  120. that our Council hosted the 1960 Scout Recognition Banquet and Anniversary Party for 700 guests and dignitaries?  Honored at this dinner was G. Barrett Rich, one of our Council's founding fathers.  Mr. Rich, also served as chairman of the National Committee on Badges, Awards, Scout Requirements and Uniform Design.
  121. that on April 30th and May 1st 1960, the Buffalo Area Council, under the direction of Deputy Scout Executive, Robert T. Meinholtz, held the “Jubilee Scout O Rama”?  This event was held in War Memorial Auditorium, downtown Buffalo.  The theme for this event was “50 years of service”.  The scout units in our Council set up 269 booths, to display their scouting skills and activities.
  122. that on the weekend of June 6th 1960, 5,100 Scouts and their leaders attended the 50th Anniversary “Jubilee Jamboree”, at Chestnut Ridge Park?  This camp, featured a communication network between the 14 sub camps.  The Erie County Civil Defense Organization coordinated the network.  One of the many high lights of the celebration was the broadcasting of the scout activities by the WEBR traffic copter.
  123. that on July 23rd 1930, 450 scouts were camped at Camp Scouthaven?  The scouts traveled into the town of Arcade, in order to greet Governor Roosevelt. Mr. Roosevelt was in Arcade to meet with our State Senate majority leader.
  124. that on February 7th 1934 William C. Seiders, was the president of the local, Buffalo Scout Press Club? The National Scout Press Club was to hold a meeting in Cleveland on April 24th & 25th, Mr. Seiders, was asked to be the Chairman of this event.
  125. that in 1931 South Park United Presbyterian Church, sponsored Troop 63, led by Scoutmaster Edward T. DeBoth? Mr. DeBoth was instrumental in the dedication of a leaded glass Scout window, in the South Park Church. The window depicted a Scout in full uniform, and it was believed to be the first window of its kind in the United States.
  126. that on November 10th 1914, an Awards Banquet was held at the Lafayette Presbyterian Church, to honor 3 new Eagle Scouts? These medals were presented to the new Eagle Scouts, by Dr. Eastman. This brought the total number of Eagle Scouts in the Buffalo Council to 18, and the National Council to 175.
  127. that Dr. Eastman was a member of the National Council of Indian Affairs? In 1890, Dr. Eastman, a Sioux Indian, was sent to Wounded Knee to negotiate peace with the Ghost Dancers. His Sioux name was “OH YESA” and in 1914, Buffalo Council’s summer camp was named in his honor.
  128. that Troop 198, had the first Emergency Service Corp, in the Buffalo Council? At the Scout Show held on February 8th 1941, at War Memorial Auditorium the Troop demonstrated their skills as part of the B.S.A. Birthday Show.
  129. that on April 30th 1918 William G. McAdoo, United States Secretary of the Treasury, visited Buffalo? He came here to promote the Third Liberty Loan Campaign. During a Special Ceremony held, Mr. McAdoo presented Treasury Department Medals to the Scouts that had participated in the Second Liberty Loan Campaign.
  130. that in 1930 the Buffalo Council had a Council-wide Indian Tribe? If a Scout wanted to belong, he had to be a member in good standing with his Troop and also be actively working on his advancement. As a new member he would be allowed to wear all of his Indian regalia, except for his headdress. In order to earn the right to wear a war bonnet, he had to earn all the feathers needed to assemble it. He would have to pass the tests for second and first class, for each requirement he passed the Scout would receive one (1) feather. In 1930 there were a total of 30 requirements for both ranks. Upon completing the rank of first class, the Scout would have earned 30 feathers, enough to complete his war bonnet and have his full Indian outfit.
  131. that in 1930 Camp Kosciuszko was relocated to the south shore of Crystal Lake at Camp Scouthaven? The names of the three sub camps at Camp Kosciusko were West Point, Hudson, and Saratoga. These names were chosen to honor the Revolutionary War hero, Brigadier General Thaddeus Kosciuszko, who was General George Washington’s Adjutant. He was also the directing engineer during the construction of West Point, as well as the builder of the fortification at Fort Saratoga.
  132. that the first Sea Scout (Troop) Ship to be chartered in the Buffalo Council was sponsored by St. Stanislaus Parish in 1931? It was named the SS Stantri, skippered by Edward Mellerki and the ship’s Commissioner was George Clouston. The ship’s name Stantri was a combination of Stan for the parish and Tri for the three scout units in the Parish cub, scout and ship.
  133. that at the Buffalo Council’s Niagara Frontier Oregon Trail Jamboree, there was a man made lake on the site? The Sea Scouts from Steuben Council in N.Y. brought 2 – 32 foot boats to demonstrate Sea Scout drills. The ship was under the leadership of Fred Dearman, Region Two’s Sea Scout Director. Region Two comprised units from New Jersey and New York.
  134. that the totem poles on display in the main lodge at Chestnut Ridge Park, for the 2000 Scout Camperall were first used as decorations in the dining hall at Camp Scouthaven in 1932.
  135. that on April 5th 1917, the Buffalo Council sent a letter of notification, stating that each Scout Troop must have a mobilization plan in place? The Council directed them to put the plan into effect should they be called upon for help in case of an Emergency. It is very interesting that the letter was sent out to the Scout Troops (one) 1 day before the United States entered WWI.
  136. that during WWI, 135 Buffalo Scouts received special Ace Medals? The Scouts were honored for selling $250.00 worth of war stamps to at least 25 different people during the 1917 war stamp drive.
  137. that in the fall of 1966 construction was begun on the inter denominational chapel at Camp Stonehaven? The work was done by the Tuscarora O.A. Lodge #284, and dedicated on June 9, 1969, in memory of Raymond C. Lucido.
  138. that in 1922 the Buffalo Society of Natural Science, developed a Museum program and Medal? In order for the scouts to be awarded this medal they each had to complete the program, by visiting 2 museums that were across the city from each other and correctly completing a 30 question test.
  139. that in June of 1936, the National Council gave the Buffalo Press Club permission to initiate a program of recognition? It was predicated on a system where troop scribes would be awarded an orange colored felt quill for sending in a good article and meeting their publication deadline.
  140. that on March 5th 1932, the Erie County Council developed an entirely new camping program for Camp TYE? Previously they used the National Standard Concept for troop or provisional camp structure. The new plan was to place the scouts into age appropriate groups who had the same interests. Erie County Council was the only Council in the nation to experiment with this program idea at this time. 
     

 

Greater Niagara Frontier Council #380, Boy Scouts of America, 2860 Genesee Street, Buffalo, NY 14225
Service Center Hours:  Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM - Phone (716) 891-4073 - Fax (716) 891-4008
Scout Shop Hours:  Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM; Tuesday 9:00 AM to 7:30 PM;
Every Saturday 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM - Phone (716) 891-1689 - Fax (716) 891-1910