Wood Badge in the 21st Century
Presented by GNFC
Leadership for Scouting - Leadership for America
Do you want to become a better leader in Scouting, and your everyday life?
Do you want to know how to better organize your Pack, Troop or Crew?
Do you want your boys to get a better experience from Scouting?
If the answer to any of these questions is YES, you are a candidate for WOOD BADGE.
Wood Badge can help you become a better Leader, understand how to better organize your unit, and help you deliver that promise of Scouting to all Scouts, be it Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, or Venturers
Wood Badge Training consists of 2 phases:
- Phase I is the practical phase. That phase consist of two, 3 day weekends, 3 weeks apart.
- Phase II is the application phase and lasts from the time you finish the practical phase up to 18 months.
You must be present at both 3 day weekends and you will have to attend small group meetings between the weekends, in order to complete Phase I.
Arrival at camp is at 7:30 am on Friday on both weekends. The 1st weekend finishes at 5:30 - 6:00 pm on Sunday. The 2nd week-end concludes at 5:00 - 5:30 pm on Sunday.
During the weekends you will be developing a series of goals that you would like to accomplish in your Scouting job during the application phase. Once you have accomplished your goals to your satisfaction and that of the assigned counselor the WOOD BADGE will be awarded.
Where is Our Next Course Taking Place?
The Greater Niagara Frontier Council will host the New Wood Badge Course in June 2013.
The Dates are:
- May 31, June 1 & 2, 2013 at Camp Scouthaven - Freedom, NY
- June 28, 29 & 30, 2013 at Camp Stonehaven - Ransomville, NY
What is the Cost?
The course fee is $250.00 which includes the cost of all meals and training materials.
How can I attend Wood Badge?
Register Online Now
Complete the registration form and send in your payment. We encourage you to pay the fee in full when you send in your application to attend Wood Badge. This will ensure your place on the course. The course is limited to 48 participants; the first 48 who sign up and pay the fee in full will be able to take part.
If you cannot pay the whole fee at one time, a $50.00 deposit will hold your place.
WOOD BADGE is advanced training for Scout Leaders, and it is changing to encompass all aspects of our program.
Previous WOOD BADGE was compartmentalized into Cub Scout and Boy Scout training, with very different expectations.
Now, WOOD BADGE is for all Leaders in the Scouting Movement.
That means leaders from Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturing, Commissioner Service, as well as District and Council Level Scouters, are invited to attend.
Who can Attend
All registered leaders in the Scouting movement are encouraged to attend. However, you must:
1) Have completed the basic training courses for your Scouting position:
- This is Scouting for all leaders
- Position specific Training for all leaders
- The appropriate training course(s) taken prior to the 2001 training curriculum change are still valid for this requirement
2) Have completed the outdoor skills training programs appropriate for your Scouting position:
- Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills for Boy Scout Leaders (others may take this course, if desired).
- Scoutmastership Fundamentals is still valid for this requirement if taken in 2001 or prior.
3) Be capable of functioning safely in an outdoor environment. Successful completion of the BSA annual physical form is required for all participants.
Wood Badge is a Class 3 activity and requires medical approval.
If you are interested in receiving an invitation to attend Wood Badge, please contact the Course Advisor via e-mail or phone at the information below.
Wood Badge 2013 Course Brochure & Registration Form
Last Updated - 05/22/12 - BG